Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Simple Tweets of Fate

Neighbors peer down from windows as two women brawl. Police arrest one. For the first time on this street, all are together, watching.

He sat, a ball on the damp cement, as teenagers taunted, simply replying "thank you" to their pennies. If only $5 were enough to fix it all.

The talent of young people displayed through stories of raw humanity. Some worry about the future, but we see what they are capable of

A test score. So significant, but telling? A small window into unknown, untapped, abilities. Stifled by tiny desks and bubble sheets. 

Florida, Connecticut, Kentucky, Wisconsin. I send congratulations but cry inside. My bracket is ruined. Goodbye dreams, see you next year. 

Inspired by Teju Cole's "Simple Tweets of Fate," and my experience writing one such tweet for Digital Literacies class, I took on the challenge of conveying events of my week through 140 characters. A combination of small news stories, observations from field work, class discussions, and my own personal interests, I loved the challenge of tweeting concisely and "with brevity."



For more information about simple tweets of fate, see this interview with Teju Cole:

No comments:

Post a Comment